Monday, October 26, 2009

THE STRIKE IS OVER!

Our local high school has been on strike for 3 weeks and 3 days! There were times when the school board and the teachers were to meet from 2:00 till 6:00 and the board would just walk out early. Let's just say it hasn't been pretty. The biggest thing was the teachers weren't happy with the health insurance that the board insisted on. I don't know the details of the settlement yet. While we didn't get our usual call around 5:00 last night saying school was canceled, we also didn't know they were even meeting. The last we knew, the board wasn't budging and said they wouldn't meet until the teachers took their offer, period. My daughter came into our bedroom after 12:00 last night to say she heard the strike was over. It will be tough getting them up this morning.
Now the football season is lost as well as tennis for my daughter and her team. They were doing very well this year. I don't understand why they can't keep the extras like sports and band going despite a strike. Now the Christmas break will be shortened up and I don't think they get a Spring break at all...it's like parents divorcing with the kids stuck in the middle and they are the ones that suffer for it. Something needs to change.

6 comments:

SouthernDogwoods said...

Oh my! I have never heard anything like that. What a shame - the students are the ones suffering from this! The board and school need to get it together for the sake of the students!

Kimberly said...

This has been a very ridiculous ordeal. I have never seen or heard of teacher strikes until now. So glad it's over. I feel badly for the kids who have lost out on so much.

Cynthia said...

Wow! That is crazy! I've never heard anything like that. I'm sorry! Last year our school district was split in half. The 'old' area didn't want to pay for growth in the new area. It was an ugly, ugly divorce. Only 20% of the district wanted the split but they found loopholes in the law that would let them do it.

I'm expecting a 40% increase in my property tax as a result. School issues can get so nasty!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I agree! That is just wrong!! The kids are definitely the ones who suffer!

Maybe things will get back to some kind of normalcy soon :)

Lou Cinda

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

How terrible...I am so sorry. I feel so bad for the kids involved.

Take care~
XOXO
Cathy

Darlene said...

WOW I have never heard of anything like that...it is crazy because it hurts and affects the children! At least it is over now.