Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Is it just me, or was this rude?

My son will be attending our local college and will be on the tennis team in the spring. After signing to play tennis the coach told all players they needed a physical done by the same doctor. On the way to the appointment today I asked my son if he minded if I came in with him to speak to the doctor about an on going, unsolved problem my son has in the winter. I've mentioned before on our blog that for the last 3 winters a few of my son's fingers and even a toe or two become swollen. The first time his middle finger was so swollen he couldn't open his hand. Our doctor did blood work and x rays and everything came back normal. The next winter and this last winter it came back but not as bad as before. The last time I took him to our family doctor I told him this and he then said he may have a virus that becomes active at that time...I think he just doesn't have a clue and neither do we. Other than that he is a healthy boy.

So, getting back to the story, I thought I would go in with my son so I could ask this new doctor his opinion and see what he thought. Well, he comes into the room and says to my son "All the other guys came without their mothers. Are you a mama's boy?" I was close to livid. I said "Actually, I came with him because I'd like to ask you a question when you're done." I went from considering switching doctors if he seem friendly and had a good bedside manner to wanting to punch him. What a jerk. Needless to say, we won't be switching doctors any time soon.

7 comments:

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

He was rude and unprofessional! I would have probably said more than you did! I am sure I would have...

Lou Cinda :)

Nicole @ the style hatch said...

OH my goodness... what a jerk... I would have punched him! Very poor bedside manners!

Belinda said...

Holey Moley! that was very unprofessional...I would write him a letter to let him know how you felt; and more importantly how your son might have felt as his patient! yes that was totally rude and I think I would have said something to him after the physical!

Kristen said...

NO, not you at all. Poor bedside manners for sure. What is it with Dr.'s these days? My poor mother had one get on her case a few weeks ago and pretty much gave her a lecture. She wrote a letter and he called to apologize, but I can tell you she won't step foot in his office again.

Audra Lynn said...

Wow! What in the world did he think he was going to accomplish by saying something like that anyway?

Sue said...

He was extremely unprofessional and I would have left immediately. I also think that the coach's request to have a physical done by a specific dr. was unreasonable. A family physician's results should have been sufficiently acceptable. Even if this guy apologized to you for his behavior, I still would not continue to see him. Is he in practice by himself or is he in a group? Someone has to be in charge and made aware of this man's attitude....

Auntie D said...

I can't believe the doctor said such a thing! Totally inappropriate! I would have lost it!

PS - just blogged about my design from you! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Thank you!! It looks so good! :)