Monday, June 22, 2009

OH DEER!!

Last Sunday a doe ran through our side yard. It's not that unusual as we are outside the city limits and have a small amount of woods near us. I was in the front yard and watched her. Once she got to the neighbors across the street she stopped. I think she was thinking about coming back until a van came by. Then she ran into the woods behind the neighbors house.My MIL lives next door and had watched the doe as she was in the backyard. Otherwise we never would have known she left us a surprise. Under my patio set was a little BAMBI. I didn't know what to do so I called Wild Animal Control. The guy on the phone was no help, he just told me a lot of people keep them and raise them. I was leaving for vacation that evening and we don't have a fenced in yard. I called the police and they said they couldn't do a thing for me. Where's the Animal Activists when you need them?

We waited 8 hours hoping that the mom would come back. In the meantime the baby didn't even move! We have seen foxes in the area and were afraid if we left the deer over night for the mom to come, it could be killed.

So, my SIL's uncle and his family came and got him. We think he was only about a week old. When he is old enough they will release him into the woods near their home. As you can see he is being well cared for and they love him. How many kids can say they have their own little Bambi?

11 comments:

bj said...

How sweeeeet. Such a little, long-legged cutie..

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Oh...this is so sweet! They may have to keep it forever! I saw one at my mother's one day and the mother ran, but the baby just lay down in the grass and didn't move. My husband said that was their defense mechanism, and the reason for the spots on their back. They blend into the ground and they "think" we can't see them.

Good luck and keep us posted on how she does!

Lou Cinda :)

Tootsie said...

awesome!

SouthernDogwoods said...

That is the cutest little doe! How sweet!

Mabry's Gamma said...

Oh my gosh, how cute...I would have taken him if I could.

imjacobsmom said...

So cute! ~ Robyn

Terri said...

I will never understand how hunters can kill such sweet and innocent animals such as deer. Thanks for looking out for the little guy.......

Cynthia said...

Doh! A Deer! A female deer?

Cute little critter- I hope they enjoy the unusual pet!

3LittleByrds said...

That is too cute. I've heard Illinois has tons of deer. We get alot in Fla. but we're excited to see so many. My husband said he was eating the other day up there and one came across the sidewalk area at the resturant. Crazy.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Thank you for your sweet comment about "letting go"! I think it is so funny Fran's kids call her Smother! I would so fit that too!!

I have not measured my mirror, but I will today and let you know the dimensions so we can figure out the size. I am going to out it right in the middle of the mirror and I want it to be white. (I saw it on another blog and loved it!)

Have a great day!!

Lou Cinda :)

Rue said...

Awwww..... that so cute!! What sweet people to take care of him :)

xo,
rue