Monday, March 16, 2009

Inspiration from Picket's Place

When we built our house the mantle wasn't given much thought. We put this one up thinking we would do something better in time. You know how that goes, 10 years later and it was still the same. I've never cared for it much and then I saw where Dot from Picket Place had painted hers and thought I'd try it. I like it and think I can live with it a while longer!

I think it's hard to decorate a mantle. Mine changes quite a bit.

I've got newlywed daughter's picture up right now. That's her wedding invitation in the frame and a picture of her and her hubby coming out of the church next to it.

The wire "thingy" was on clearance at Hobby Lobby and I put fake fruit in it. I tried different things but ended up with that. The candle sticks were on clearance at Target.

Thanks Dot for the inspiration! A little paint can make a big difference!

10 comments:

Lisa (aka) French said...

I think it looks great painted;) That Picket is a sweetie and a great inspiration to us all! If I may could you tell me how you got those pictures and link up to your Etsy store? Just email me direstly if possible;) Thanks French

3LittleByrds said...

Wow. What a big difference the black paint makes. It looks great.

Deb said...

I love it! I love all those colors together. Deb

whoopsadasie said...

I love it...it looks great!

Amber Filkins said...

Wow!! BIG difference with just a little paint! Love it! Go check out the nester's site, and look at the post from yesterday. In the pictures she used there are huge shudders atop the mantle. That is an idea to try out!! :)

I don't have a traditional mantle at this house, there is a wood stove atop a knee height platform. But I wish I could decorate a traditional mantle!

nikkicrumpet said...

Painting it black was a great idea! It really did make a huge difference! LOVE IT

Anonymous said...

What a transformation! I love it and I stopped by yall's Etsy and I love that too. Nothing gets my heart racing like a pretty sign. You girls got it going on! Take care~

Tootsie said...

I love the paint! it looks wonderful! Picket is a great inspiration to loads of us!
thanks for the visit and the sweet words today! I am now a follower of your blog...will try to visit often!

Cheri said...

Oh the black really makes the fireplace POP! Great job. I see you love Picket as much as the rest of us.

Darlene said...

I LOVE how your mantle looks painted black. Beautiful! I have one of those wire thingys from Hobby Lobby.....love it!!!